Marielle Michmerhuizen ’25 – SIT Study Abroad Oaxaca, Mexico

Class of 2025
Major | Social Work
Hometown | Holland, MI, USA

Off-Campus Study Program
SIT Study Abroad Migration, Borders, and Transnational Communities
Oaxaca, Mexico

¡Hello everyone, hola todos!
My name is Marielle, and I’m a junior studying social work and Spanish. I’m a first-generation college student who was born and raised in Holland, MI, and I will be studying abroad in Oaxaca, Mexico! While I have a deep love for Holland, I am ready to experience something new and explore my identity as a Mexican-American.

I am very passionate about topics surrounding immigration, and I am very excited to learn about migration, borders, and transnational communities, all of which are key focus points of my program. My main goal in studying abroad is to improve my Spanish fluency and fully immerse myself in the culture, all while learning as much as I possibly can. In my free time, I love drinking coffee, playing soccer, listening to music, spending time with friends, and eating delicious food. I am excited to channel these interests into my day-to-day life abroad, and maybe even pick up some new ones as well!

I anticipate there will be many challenges, but I am excited to see what this semester will hold for me, both personally and academically. I am elated to have the opportunity to study abroad, and I can’t wait to share my experiences with you all. I hope you follow along!