Over the last year, there has been a significant increase in Hope College video production. With more Hope video comes more visibility for the college (great!) as well as more demand, more deadlines and more concern about quality (sometimes stressful!). Recently, the Public Affairs and Marketing team updated its guidelines for video production. We invite you to take a look, and let us know if you have any questions. In the meantime, let us answer a few of the most common questions we field:
- I’d like to create a video and post it to the Hope website. How do I do that? In order to be posted on the Hope website, your video first must be published on the Hope YouTube Channel… and in order for the video to be published on the Hope YouTube Channel, you must follow Hope’s video production guidelines.
- Do I have to let Public Affairs and Marketing know I’m creating a video? If you want your video to be considered for the Hope YouTube Channel, yes! Contact us at least two weeks prior to the start of your production — but ideally, as soon as you get the idea for your video.
- Can a student produce a video for our office or department? You bet! Hope students are very talented, and they do great work on videos. (Here’s an example of a fantastic video that a *student* produced for a recent Admissions initiative.) If a student is creating a video that you plan to post on the Hope website, the student must meet with a Web Communications staff member prior to production so we can discuss the guidelines in person. To set up a meeting, contact the team at 395.7860 or firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Can you make the video for me? Hope College does offer professional video services! Our video services manager, Phil Blauw, is awesome. Submit your request, and we’ll follow up to begin planning the next steps.
- What’s the best length for a video? Quick answer: Depends on how you’re using it, but somewhere between 30 and 60 seconds.
- I shot a video and noticed afterward that the students/employees we featured were wearing Calvin apparel. Is that OK? That’s a trick question! If you answered “yes,” go immediately to the Hope College Bookstore! Do not pass GO! Do not collect $200! It hurts our orange-and-blue hearts when we see Hope videos featuring students and employees wearing branded attire from other schools.
- It’s cool if I wait until the last minute to request that my video get posted on the Hope College YouTube channel, right? Another trick question! Please give us as much notice as you can. Do not wait until your video is complete to make your request. (Tip: Our very first question will be, “Did you follow the guidelines?”)
- Does it matter if I use my mobile device to produce the video? Does it matter if I shoot video horizontally or vertically? Does it matter if I use copyrighted music and images in my video? Yes, yes and YES. Please see the guidelines for more information.
- I don’t have the Hope logo on file. Can I recreate the logo myself, and maybe throw in some Comic Sans font? Ouch! Proper usage of the Hope College brand is required for all videos. Our Creative Services team is happy to field your brand questions; contact them at 395.7860 or email@example.com.
- Do I need to include a transcription of my video? OK, so we don’t get this question often. But you should know that, as of Jan. 1, 2018, all videos hosted by Hope College must include transcriptions for accessibility. You are required to submit a transcription for all videos. To discuss any questions or concerns, please contact our Web Communications team at 395.7860 or firstname.lastname@example.org.
Interested in chatting about your video ideas? Let us know. We can’t wait to help you flex your creative muscles.