Okay, so we have all heard about it… the freshman fifteen! A terrifying phrase commonly thrown around by many people. Well, one of my biggest fears about going to college was gaining the “freshman fifteen” that everyone raves about so frequently. I did not want to let this happen to me. So I thought I would give you guys some pointers on how to avoid the freshman fifteen.
- Stock up your dorm room with healthy food. This is often a challenge for college students because many times we are short on time and just want a quick meal. However, it is important to stock up on fruits, vegetables, yogurt, light butter popcorn, and healthy granola bars and cereals.
- Eat from the salad bar and use light dressings. Try to refrain yourself from eating the casseroles, fried foods and desserts.
- Make sure to eat a balanced diet that includes foods from the five food groups: meat or other protein-based foods, such as beans, nuts and eggs; grains; dairy; fruits; and vegetables. Phelps Dining Hall has a lot of healthy food options!
- Buy a small refrigerator for your room so that you can keep healthy foods on you at all times in your dorm.
- Eat smaller meals more often rather than infrequent, large meals. Phelps Dining Hall allows you take one piece of fruit with you whenever you leave the dining hall. A banana makes for a perfect afternoon snack.
- Try to not order a late-night pizza frequently. Every now and then is okay, but I wouldn’t be ordering one of those weekly. Plus, it will help you save your money.
- Exercise regularly. The Dow Center is Hope’s workout center. Try to make time to workout as often as possible. Also, intramural sports are a great way to stay in shape, and they are a lot of fun. Plus, Holland is beautiful and has a lot of great trails to run on when it is warm outside.
- Drink a lot of water! Everyone carries a water bottle everywhere they go. Don’t leave for college without one.
I hope you have enjoyed these tips and that they are able to help you!
Try not to constantly indulge in some of my favorite foods:
And my favorite… THE SKILLET COOKIE