At Hope, there are plenty of great opportunities for students to relax and enjoy life beyond homework. Winter Fantasia (a SAC-sponsored dance), Men’s Night Out and Women’s Night Out (biannual Campus Ministries events) and the Hope-Calvin basketball game occurred either in the past week or will occur this week.
Needless to say, college kids can stay busy. But for those lulls in student activity, especially in the winter, here are some ways to create your own fun at school.
- Go to a sporting event you wouldn’t think to attend! Hope Tennis has matches sporadically in the next few months, lacrosse is starting up, and every now and then the swim team has a home meet. Check out the schedules here.
- Check out the arts! The Student Activities Committee (SAC) has a concert series with some big names, but when those are thin, you can always catch a Coffeehouse set in the Kletz, see a visiting writer, or enjoy a film at the Knick. Check out the arts at Hope here.
- Do something seasonal! Downhill and cross country skiing are great. But maybe your a sledding kind of person. Maybe you like snowball fights. Maybe you like broom ball.
- Do something out of season! On a dry day, take a longboard or bike ride. Take a trip to the beach. Play a game of soccer in the snow.
- Collaborate! Play card games with your friends, or make your own. Have a jam session, or just have an intentionally NON-homework hangout in someone’s room.
Winter takes its toll. But there are plenty of ways to stay fresh and excited in between study sessions, especially at the beginning of the semester. Good luck!