This past weekend I had the opportunity to witness the 115th
Pull at the Black River in Holland,
MI. The Pull, which is the
oldest, and most intense, college tradition in the nation, brings together Hope College
students, faculty, alumni, and family to cheer on freshmen and sophomore
students during this big tug of war.
A Little Info…
So for those of you who might not know anything about The
Pull, here’s a little info:
- The Pull is between Odd and Even years (Freshmen
- There are forty members of each team (twenty
males and twenty females)
- Odd year has ten upper classmen coaches and Even
year has eleven coaches
- The longest The Pull can go is three hours
- The Pull is held over the Black River in Holland, MI
This year, four of my good friends participated on the Odd
Year team: three actually on the team and one of them as a coach. Knowing
someone on the team definitely made it more exciting to watch and made the
victory that much more sweet!
Alexis, Jess, Bri, and the rest of the 1-5 Team! Y’all did wonderful and it was
so fun to watch you win and swim in the river!
P.S. If you would like more detained info on The Pull, check
out the website below!
Photo Credits: Bri Nelson, Bruce Smith