Hello everybody! I hope your week has been going well and I thank you for sitting down for a moment and reading my blog! With the new semester well underway, I figured it would be nice to outline some big events going on in the upcoming weeks. Since I live with a member of the SAC (Student Activities Committee), I’m always aware of the major activities going on around campus and even off-campus. Here’s a list of some of the things in January and February that are happening:
- January 17: This night happens to be Winter Fantasia! It’s a winter dance that is held in Grand Rapids and is open to any student who wishes to go and doesn’t require you to have a date or any dancing skills. There is always yummy food and photo booths that keep people entertaining when you aren’t dancing and laughing with friends.
- January 23: The Hypnotist—each year, a hypnotist comes to campus and puts on an amazing show that makes people crack up! This is one of my favorite events because the hypnotist is able to make the group on stage do hilarious things that make no sense but are super entertaining.
- January 30: Hope’s hockey team plays against Davenport! Hockey games are always a popular event because we tend to have a really good team and it’s a fun activity to go to that is slightly off campus. Being able to escape campus just for a bit is a nice treat once in a while, but make sure to dress warmly!
- February 13: SAC puts on a visit to Skyzone. If you are not familiar with this, it’s an indoor trampoline arena that has trampolines everywhere so you just bounce around with friends until your legs can no longer manage to jump anymore. If you’re looking for an event that allows you to get a good workout, definitely look into going to this!
- February 20: Dodgeball Tournament! Along with the Skyzone, this activity requires a bit of a workout as well. A huge dodgeball tournament is put on in the Dow involving any students that want to put together a team. This event gets pretty intense once it gets down to the semifinals, so even if you don’t want to participate, it’s a fun atmosphere to be around.
- February 28: Since there will most likely still be plenty of snow and cold in the end of February, the next event planned is going to Grand Rapids and ice skating at Rosa Parks Circle. It’s nice to get out of Holland at times, so grabbing your friends and some ice skates is a fun afternoon.
This about sums up the events taking place through February, but there are plenty more later into the semester such as Dance Marathon, the Really Big Talent Show and Spring Fling. I always love knowing the events going on around campus so I have fun things to look forward to at the end of a stressful week. Hopefully these activities spark an interest and we see you there soon!
Don’t forget to follow me on Twitter @hopeleslie15.