Fall Break lasts from Friday evening to Tuesday. Students who visit home often return on Tuesday, but until then the campus is completely barren and dead. Most club activities are called off, the Phelps Dining hours are cut short, and most students are huddled in their dorm finishing up Fall Break homework (supposedly). Although these four days are a bit lonely for dorms or cottages that are a bit emptier than others, it is great to to able to wind down and have a whole campus to yourself.
So without further ado, here’s a quick list of things to know about staying at Hope over Fall Break:
- Netflix all-day, every day. No joke. Scott Hall played a grand total of 13 Disney/Dreamworks movies in the basement, roughly three to four every night. A few friends and I threw two mattresses together and enjoyed a horror movie marathon.
- People sleep in, hardcore. The freedom fall break offers is intoxicating so students would often sleep at 1-5 a.m. and wake up at 12-4 p.m. In fact, the later one woke up, the more pride one has in bragging about it. (My personal record is 3 p.m.)
- Phelps Dining food quality is not at its best. Do we get pitied because we aren’t jovially laughing around a dinner table with family and friends? Nope. There are certainly some exceptions (s/o to the french fry bar, t’was exquisite), but for the most part that’s okay because it gave us a chance to check out the dining options downtown.
- There is a Meijer Run on Tuesday. Just a quick thing to add since a few people were unsure whether the shuttle was running that day or not. I had my first Meijer run yesterday! ( Follow me on Twitter @hopefrina19 for more riveting details about my life).
- Work never gets done. We say we’ll do it, plan it all out, bring out all of our books and our materials, throw on that study music, but alas, it is impossible. The power of fall break procrastination is a force to be reckoned with.
- People pamper themselves. Be prepared to see hair, eyebrows, nails, and makeup on point.
- It’s too short. By the end of break, it’s exciting to see friends come back but, truth be told, we’re all looking forward to Thanksgiving break.
I hope you enjoyed your fall breaks! Leave a comment below about how your fall break went.