Staggered move-in is right around the corner, and we want to help make sure that you and your families feel empowered and confident to take hold of your Hope College experience as soon as you step on campus. Here are some things that will be important resources for you during your move-in experience.
1. As soon as you arrive on campus, students, please check-in at your designated Res Life tent.
There, you will receive your ID, a special edition Orientation t-shirt, your Orientation welcome bag, and a map of your residence hall with marked entrances and exits. We ask that only students come to the tent, if possible, to reduce possible points of physical contact. Below, we have included a map of our campus with the Res Life tents marked so you know where to go!
2. Once you check-in, head to your residence hall, apartment, or cottage…
…and unload your belongings into your room using the proper entrances and exits. You must wear a mask at all times! And, there is no limit on the amount of people that can help you move-in.
Our orientation staff will be there to hold doors for you, sanitize common areas, and answer all your questions! They can also help to give you directions to all our different tent stations around campus.
3. After you unload your car from the unloading zone, please move your car to one of the nearby parking lots.
If you need some directions, ask anyone in an orange Hope shirt! Campus Safety will be around to help direct you as well.
4. Have fun putting together your room!
Loft your bed! Put up some decorations! Set up your fridge, TV, etc. Make your room yours because it will be your home for the next year! Think about how to make the space functional for you and your roommate.
Pro Tip: Talk to your roommate before move-in about how you want to set up your living space.
5. And, before your move-in slot is over…
… come visit us at the Orientation Station! We will be located in the Pine Grove and available to help answer any and all questions you have! Here, we will also have a Family Table where you can interact with staff from our Family Engagement office (and family members, you can drop off your letters here!).
And one more checklist for you:
- Take pictures at our photo-op stations around campus! Orientation staff will be around those stations to help take as many family pictures as you would like. They will be in the Pine Grove, the Anchor, the Hope Arch, and outside of Dimnent Chapel. Here is a quick example!
- Check out our bookstore products! You can pick up your pre-ordered textbooks at the bookstore or some of the pods around campus, grab some Hope merch, and get any last-minute school supplies you may need. You can even get a Hope mask!
- Eat your first meal in the dining hall. Students, you will be able to eat in Phelps starting as soon as you move-in!
- However, if you want to eat a meal with your family, explore the restaurants downtown! Holland has so many great and local, Michigan-owned eateries within walking distance from campus. We encourage you to check out the coffee shops, pizza places, and even our new zero-waste market!
- And finally, say goodbye to your loved ones. We know this has not been an easy period for students and families alike. Take the time you need to say goodbye and encourage one another to keep positive attitudes through it all. Mindset Matters!
Our best advice for you all with the move-in process is to savor every moment, take lots of pictures (trust me, you will want them later) ask for help when you need it, and remember, this is time is meant to be yours. Make the best of it and truly make it your own.
We can’t wait to FINALLY meet you! We honestly cannot wait!