This past summer Hope provided me and 11 other students the opportunity to study abroad in Santiago de Compostela, Spain. I learned so much and enjoyed living in such a beautiful city for the month of May. My typical day in Spain:
- 8:30 wake up and enjoy some strong Spanish coffee
- 9:00 walk 20 minutes to the university
- 9:30-1:00 attend class with Hope students taught by two different professors from the university
- 1:00-1:30 walk home and stop at some shops on the way back
- 2:00-3:00 eat lunch with our host family
- 3:00-4:00 siesta!
- 4:00-6:00 go on an excursion with our group in the city
- 6:00-? Have free time in the city, shop, eat, run, explore
- 10:00 eat a small dinner
- 11:45 slept the night away
My time in Spain flew by. I was homesick the first couple of days because I was adjusting to the culture and time change. However, it did not take me long to get into the groove of living in Spain. My Spanish improved from talking with the people and speaking only Spanish in class. My professors from Spain did not know any English, but they were kind enough to speak slowly to us. They taught us about the culture and history of Spain. All of the material was new for me so it easily grabbed my attention. We also had a professor from Hope along with us on the trip, and she helped us with our homework and made sure we adjusted well to the culture in Spain. I really enjoyed getting to know Hope students better and learning about the Spanish culture.
Hope offers a variety of study abroad options. I would like to study abroad again this summer to possibly Vienna and London. Thankfully, Hope partners with several different off-campus programs, so the options are incredible. If you would like more information about Hope’s off-campus opportunities, click here.
Here are some pictures from my time in Spain!!