Hello New Hope Families!
This is the week we’ve been waiting for all summer — Orientation is almost here, and we are excited to share these five reminders for all participating families:
1. Next Friday is the day! Move-in Day is Friday, August 23 from 10 a.m. to 4 p.m. Orientation Assistants (“OAs”) will be at every residence hall to welcome you and your student.
2. We’re here for you… and your heavy items! The Orientation team is ready to help in any way — and that includes carrying your boxes, bins and heavy items. All 180 students volunteer their time because they love Hope College and want to ensure that you and your student have a smooth transition to “Home Sweet Hope.”
Pro Tip: Use blue tape to mark your belongings with your student’s name and room number before you arrive!
3. Unload, then park. Campus Safety officers and Orientation Assistants will be managing traffic and pointing you in the right direction. Parking near residence halls is reserved specifically for those who are unloading their cars. Once you are done unloading, you can park in any Hope parking lot throughout Orientation weekend — no permit required.
4. Step in and step up. We know that every family’s story is unique, and we’ve worked to build a variety of experiences that will meet a variety of needs. So, make yourself at home and dive into the family sessions. The more you participate throughout the weekend, the more you will get out of it.
5. Ask for help! There are no silly questions or unimportant concerns. Stop by the Orientation Station in the Bultman Student Center and ask the Orientation staff anything. Members of the Parents’ Council will be at Hydration Stations throughout camps. If they don’t know the answer, they’ll track it down for you!
Good luck with all your last-minute packing and preparations. We can’t wait to welcome you to Hope in person!
Sara Arnquist, Kayla Lang and Caleb Miller
2019 Orientation Directors