“Please remember to dress business professional for this event…” Who knew so few words could cause such anxiety? Business professional can be tricky, but we’ve got you covered.
Here are five easy do’s and don’ts to follow next time you need to look sharp and at the top of your game.
- Wear a blazer
- Wear a buttoned shirt with a tie, a nice blouse, or a dress
- Wear polished shoes (loafers and heels are preferred)
- Wear ironed slacks or skirt (Trust me, ironing makes all the difference)
- Wear dark, neutral colors
Bonus Pro Tip: run a lint brush over your outfit to make sure you have all dust and hair off your suit.
- Wear jeans of any kind
- Wear bold patterns or bright colors
- Wear athletic clothing (this includes tennis shoes)
- Wear large amounts of jewelry or big watches (you’re shooting for subtlety here)
- Wear too tight, low-cut, or loose clothing (make sure your pieces fit properly and keep everything covered)
Whether you’re trying to dress for an interview, dinner reception, or networking event, it is important to put your best foot forward. If you don’t have all the essentials in your closet, try borrowing from a dorm/house mate or friend. Hopefully following these tips will help you know what to wear next time you need to dress up and will allow you to feel confident as you work towards finding your place in the real world.