It’s that time of the year! Students are back on campus, classes are in full swing, and clubs and organizations are getting warmed up for the semester. With a new academic year there also comes questions about on-campus jobs, internships, and full-time work for the future. Whether you are looking for a few hours of work during the week or a full time job post-graduation, Handshake is a fantastic place to begin. It’s important to keep your profile looking sharp and up-to-date. A little effort and attention to detail will help Handshake work for you. Here are a few things we want you to keep in mind:
- No account? No problem!
- Navigate to https://app.joinhandshake.com/login and create your own account through the Hope College server.
- Log in using your Hope email and password.
- You have an account: let’s make it shine!
- If you click on your name in the top right corner, you’ll see an option to view “My Profile.” On the right hand column of your profile, you’ll see a Profile Level with short cuts to keep things updated.
- Make sure your basic information is filled out and updated with your name, year, profile photo, etc.
- Be sure to update this each year, whether that’s refreshing your year in school, major, etc.
- To enhance your profile for employers, add more information, such as work experiences, volunteer experiences, skills, career interests, relevant coursework, and projects you’ve worked on.
- Similar to LinkedIn, you can elaborate on your work experiences, which will give employers a more well-rounded view of you as an applicant.
The more detailed your profile is, the better! Handshake will be even easier to navigate when your profile is up-to-date. The more specific your qualifications and interests are, the more success you’ll have. At the Boerigter Center for Calling and Career, we aim to help every student at Hope College develop their interests and career goals through discernment, preparation, and pursuit. Leveraging Handshake to your benefit is a wonderful place to begin!