It’s time. You’ve selected a major and are itching to fast-track the career preparation process. You are ready to stand out, get noticed by top employers in your field, and get ahead of the pack for job and internship applications this fall. Let’s make it happen.
Top 6 Reasons to Apply for the Summer Career Accelerator
- Summer is a perfect time. Whether you are working, traveling, or taking a class, you will still be much less busy than in a typical semester. Expect about a three-hour time commitment per week.
- You can work around your schedule. All activities and assignments can be done on your own time and at your own pace, except for our half-day Employer Showcase, which is when…
- You will learn about and meet representatives from key organizations that recruit Hope students. Employers are eager to hire students of all majors, and there are many that specifically recruit at Hope. Do you know who they are? You will learn about them and be able to introduce yourself at our virtual Employer Showcase in mid-June.
- You will earn a highly relevant micro-credential. Learn a skill that is in demand in the workforce right now, and list it on your résumé. It’s a great addition to your Hope College degree. See the list of micro-credentials below.
- You will also have a dedicated Hope staff or faculty member as your personal coach. They will review your work and advise you throughout the program via email and virtual meetings.
- There is no cost to you if you complete the program. When we start the program, we will charge $250 to your student account. This charge will be removed if you finish the program by August 24. In addition, you will receive a $30 gift from the Hope Bookstore to reward you as you progress through the summer!
April 5 – 25
Application period. You will be notified of your status by April 28.
May 8 – June 9
Career Prep Fundamentals (15 hours – online, self-paced)
You will work through a series of foundational career prep activities with your personal coach:
- Creating/polishing your résumé, online profile, and cover letter
- Researching employers in your field of interest
- Talking with Hope alumni who work in that field
Week of June 12
Employer Showcase (4 hours – online, scheduled time TBD)
You will get a chance to watch representatives from some of Hope’s key employer partners describe their organization and what it’s like to work there. You will also get to participate in online mini-interviews where you can introduce yourself to recruiters and express your interest in their organizations.
June 19 – August 24
Micro-Credential Options (online, self-paced)
You will work with your coach to select the option below that interests you most and is relevant. Upon completing the credential, you will be awarded a badge to add to your résumé and online profile.
- Data Analytics & Visualization (45 hours) Data analysis is happening everywhere. Tableau is a software tool used in multiple industries and disciplines to visualize data in meaningful ways. Learning this software now gives you an advantage for future roles. Provided by Tableau.
- Intercultural Fluency (12 hours) Intercultural fluency in the 21st century includes the capacity to operate and communicate in different cultural contexts. You will learn how to: recognize and challenge your own cultural biases; show curiosity; demonstrate self-awareness; and incorporate diverse perspectives. Students with these skills are in high demand in the workforce today. Provided by Education Design Lab.
- Project Management (30 hours) Knowing the basics of project management will make you a valuable employee in any organization. The PMI Project Management Ready™ certification presents the tools needed to apply this knowledge to a wide range of career paths and to your day-to-day activities. Provided by Project Management Institute.
Questions? Email firstname.lastname@example.org.
Sponsored by the Hope College Boerigter Center for Calling and Career and the Van Wylen Library.