Hey students – Two words that summarize everything going on at the Boerigter Center this semester: Make Connections!
Years ago, I was living and working in the Detroit area, keeping an eye out for an opportunity to move to West Michigan to be closer to family. I applied online for various jobs with little success. I had heard that most jobs are found through people that can help you make connections. So I decided to give it a try. I reached out to a fellow Hope grad whom I had never met before and asked her if she would be willing to meet and give me some advice. She quickly agreed, and we had a great conversation. It turns out she knew the CEO of a start-up company I was looking at, and she encouraged me to pursue an opportunity with them. Thanks to her, I landed the role and have lived happily in West Michigan ever since.
Whether you are in your first year at Hope, or your last year, or anywhere in between, the Boerigter Center is creating opportunities for YOU to make connections! If you are wanting to learn more about certain professions or metro areas, sign up for one of our Hope College Connection Live! events to connect with alumni who can talk about their experience. If you are looking for a summer internship or a job after graduation, come connect with recruiters at the Spring Career and Internship Fair on Feb. 19. Those events and others are listed below.
Watch your email for another big deal coming this March – The Hope College Connection – a brand new system allowing you to connect directly with alumni and parents who are eager to share career advice and support you in your journey.
If you have any questions, come stop by our office anytime. We can work with you to come up with a personalized plan to make connections for everything from career discernment to jobs and grad school decisions. We hope to connect with you soon!
- Tues Jan 28: Internship Planning Workshop
- Join us to learn the planning steps for securing a future internship! This workshop is best suited for students in the beginning stages of internship planning. Although, all students in any major are welcome to join.
- Tues Jan 28: Hope College Connection Live! Lansing (Bus, Gov, Law)
- Hope College Connection Live! provides an opportunity for current students to meet alumni and receive advice for navigating careers, finding and internship, job searching and so much more! While alumni from all industries have been invited to this event, the Lansing program will have a government and business.
- Tues Feb 18: Hope College Connection Live! Royal Oak (Healthcare)
- This opportunity allows students to connect with alumni and receive advice about further schooling, possible career paths and much more. The Royal Oak program will have a health professions emphasis (DO, MD, PT, OT, Speech Path, DDS, Optometry, Pharmacy, Medical Social Work, Podiatry, Nursing).
- Wed Feb 19: Spring Career & Internship Fair
- Calling all students seeking an internship or full-time job. The Spring Career and Internship Fair will enable you to make connections with possible future employers and learn about prospective job opportunities.
- Thurs Feb 20: Liberal Arts & Careers in Healthcare
- Join local private liberal arts colleges and universities for the “Beyond the Bedside: Your Opportunity in Healthcare” event. Hear from local practitioners and alumni working in the field in roles other than patient care. Enjoy refreshments and a chance to learn about healthcare jobs in Grand Rapids.
- Tues Feb 25: Summer Camp & Ministry Fair
- This event is for any students seeking a Summer Camp job opportunity. Approximately two dozen camps will be attending to find future employees for a summer or full-time position.
- Wed Feb 26: GVSU Winter 2020 Career and Internship Fair
- The Career and Internship Fair at Grand Valley is a great opportunity to meet potential employers, learn about internships in the area, and build your professional network. This event is expected to have over 230 employers with thousands of immediate job openings!
- Tues Mar 3: Hope College Connection Live! Grand Rapids (All fields)
- Want to stay in the greater Grand Rapids area after graduation? If so, this event is for you! This networking event is a great way to make connections with possible employers in the Grand Rapids area. It is also an opportunity to learn about employers hiring processes and find potential pathways to take in your field of study.
- Tues Apr 7: Hope College Connection Live! Chicago (All fields)
- Interested in living and working in the Chicago area? This networking event is a great way to make connections with possible employers, learn about their hiring processes, and learn about potential jobs in your field.