My name is Brooke Wharton and I’m a freshman this year! Since I’m new around here, I’ll tell you a bit about myself. I’ll share why I chose Hope and a few of my favorite things about the college so far!
I’m from Troy, Michigan, which is about 2½ hours from Hope. I’m currently undecided in my major, but I’m considering education, as well as psychology! I’m so excited to be apart of the blogging team since writing is one of my favorite things to do. I also love reading, music, and being with friends! Since I’m living in Dykstra Hall this year, meeting new people hasn’t been too big of a problem, and there’s always someone to hangout with.
Here are some reasons why I chose Hope:
- There are so many friendly people. People smile and say hi to you all of the time!
- The Christian environment is another biggie for me. It’s so nice to have so many opportunities to grow in my faith here, and to be around others doing the same thing as me! Keeping this in mind, I’ve also found people to be very accepting of differences.
- The academics are great. I find myself challenged in class, and there are so many great resources around campus (like the Academic Success Center and the Klooster Center for Excellence in Writing) that are available for all students.
- Holland is awesome. With how close the town is, there’s always something to do. There are frozen yogurt places, clothing shops, restaurants, candy stores, etc.
A few of my favorite things about Hope since moving in:
- Donut enthusiasts are everywhere. Everyone loves donuts and there’s always someone who wants to make a run to go get one with you.
- There are so many activities going on throughout the week and weekend. Last night I went to a show put on by the SAC (Student Activities Committee), and this morning I went to a yoga session in the Pine Grove put on by the Yoga Club!
- The farmers market. It’s within a walking distance every Saturday. This is so cool because you can always have fresh fruit in your dorm without worrying that it’s going to go bad, or having to go off campus.
I’m so excited to be apart of Hope Student Blogging! You can follow me on Twitter @hopebrooke18 for more updates.
Thanks for reading,