Skip to content
- September 18 1977: Voyager I takes first photo of Earth and the Moon together.
- September 19 1957: First underground nuclear test takes place in Nevada.
- September 21, 1978: Two Soviet cosmonauts set a space endurance record after 96 days in space.
- September 21, 2003: Galileo space mission ends as the probe is sent into Jupiter’s atmosphere where it was crushed.
- September 22 1959: Saul Perlmutter, astrophysicist; shared 2011 Nobel Prize in Physics for providing evidence towards the idea that the universe is expanding at an accelerated rate.
- September 23 1961: William “Willie” McCool, American astronaut; among those killed when Space Shuttle Columbia disintegrated while reentering Earth’s atmosphere (2003).
- September 24 1970: The Soviet Luna 16 lands, completing the first unmanned round trip to the moon.