And just like that, my time abroad has come to an end. It is crazy to believe that I am packing my suitcases to go home when it feels like just yesterday I was walking into my apartment for the first time. Studying abroad has easily been one of the hardest but most rewarding things I have ever done.
I have learned so many things about the Spanish culture and myself. Traveling is one of the best things you can do for yourself. It throws you out of your comfort zone and forces your to adapt. I am both happy and sad to be leaving Spain. I am so happy to go home for the holidays and see my family. However, it will be a hard change not living in Spain anymore. I will miss it very much.
If there was any advice I would give students studying abroad it would be:
- Be open to new things
- Try new foods!
- Know you are going to feel stressed and overwhelmed, but you are not alone
- Pack light – you will accumulate lots of souvenirs
- Embrace local culture, it is very different from the United States (for a reason!)
- Keep an eye on your belongings
- Do or collect something everywhere you go (tickets, postcards, etc.)
As I zip up my suitcases to come home, I feel grateful for all of the opportunities I have had abroad. With that being said, I am also very excited to return to Holland next semester.