The Michigan Shipwreck Research Association (MSRA) will present its annual Mysteries & Histories Beneath the Inland Seas on Saturday, March 24, 2018 from 7:00 PM to 9:30 PM (EDT), in the Jack H. Miller Auditorium at Hope College, 221 Columbia Avenue, Holland, MI 49423.
For more information visit the website at Mysteries & Histories Beneath the Inland Seas-2018.
The Holland Area Historical Society’s Tuesday, December 12, 2017 evening program at Grace Episcopal Church has been cancelled due to severe weather.
Read about the history of the Red Cross in Ottawa County, Michigan, 1909-1940, in the latest issue of the Joint Archives Quarterly.
Did you know that there are more than 68 works of public art just in Holland? Come find out what those pieces of art are, their history, and where to find them through images and comments from Lorma Freestone, executive director of the Holland Area Arts Council. The Holland Area Historical Society will host this event on Tuesday, June 20, 2017, at 7:30 p.m., at the Maas Center Auditorium, at Hope College, 264 Columbia Avenue, Holland. This event is free to the public.
Read about the interesting life of late 19th century Holland resident Lucas DeWeert, his fascination with the sport of walking, inspired by Edward Payson Weston, and his time at the Ottawa County Poor Farm in the latest issue of the Joint Archives Quarterly:
The Poor Farm: A Documentary film will premiere at the Park Theatre on River Street in Holland on May 24 at 6:00. There will be beer, wine, and snacks and a fabulous silent auction with lots of experiential items. Music provided by Ruth and Max Bloomquist of “Michigan Girl” fame.
Advanced tickets can BEST be secured by calling 616-738-4810 or 616-786-4847, online, or purchased at the door for $10 each.
Much of the research completed for the making of this film came from Joint Archives of Holland, Hope College, archival collection of the same name and we are a proud supporter of this event.
For just a few times since its pillars were first installed in 1912, the Hope College arch is conspicuously missing from its place outside Graves Hall.
The Hope College arch is a landmark around campus. Its brick pillars were donated by the Class of 1912, and the decorative metal arch, which includes the words Hope College, was added in 1940 as a gift from the Hope College chapter of the national Blue Key honor society. The arch was meant to serve as a symbol of Hope, donated during a time when the college had few true landmarks by which it could distinguish itself.
Today, the Hope College Anchor stands outside of Graves Hall, statues and plaques litter campus, and some college buildings have come into their own rights as historical landmarks. However, the archway has endured as a Hope College icon and remains one of the most recognizable features around campus.
The last time it was absent was the summer of 2006, when it was removed to repair damages sustained during a June 6 delivery truck collision. The repair took five weeks, and the arch returned to campus on July 13, 2006. Now, nearly eleven years later, a delivery truck has proved to be the enemy of the arch yet again. After another unfortunate collision, the brick pillars and bronze arch have been removed for repairs. Upon removal, the arch and the pillars were shown to have sustained significant damage from decades of weather related wear and tear. The entire structure will be replaced in order to ensure many decades more of enjoyment and recognition. The date of the arch’s return is yet unknown, but it’s safe to say that before long, the Hope icon will be back in its rightful place, an everyday sight as students pass between Van Wylen Library, A. Paul Schaap Science Center, and Graves Hall.
Kirstin Anderson, Student Research Assistant