GLCA Conference in Bratislava, Slovakia

cole

On 22-25 June 2016, I attended the Global Course Alliance Workshop organized by the GLCA in Bratislava, Slovakia. I worked on a themed course with my partner, Dr. James Hodapp, from the American University of Beirut. Our work together was centered around “Cultural Representations of Mental Illness in African Literature.”

James and I would be sharing a couple of texts in our African literature and Modern Global literatures classes respectively in Spring 2017. These texts are The Memory of Love by Aminatta Forna, Girls at War by China Achebe, and Stone Virgins by Yvonne Vera. We also hope to supplement these readings with short story Memories We Lost by Lididumalingani which won the Caine Prize for literature 2016.

We hope to foster cross-institutional and interdisciplinary collaboration between faculty and staff of Hope College and American University of Beirut. We also look forward to developing full fledge connected course where we would share all texts in both courses, together with similar pedagogical strategies and assessment and evaluation methods in 2017-18 academic year.

Bratislava is a unique and interesting place. Riding in a bus from Austria to Slovakia, I got a glimpse of the landscape, the farming communities, and the natural vegetation. James and I took time off to explore the center of town. A few photos are displayed: a cow on skewer (barbecue), dinner with a colleague, and my favorite photo; a man emerging from the drain.

IMG_20160624_171322 IMG_20160624_171328IMG_0495

My favorite photo taken in downtown Bratislava:

IMG-20160806-WA0000