Created to Work and to do Good Works
Life and work are intimately connected.
“The odds of thriving in all areas of well-being are 4.6x higher if [we are] engaged at work” (Gallup).
The odds of being engaged at work are…
- 2.6x higher if college prepared students well for life outside of college
- 2.4x higher if the institution was passionate about the long-term success of its students
- 2.2x higher if students had mentors who encouraged them to pursue their goals and dreams
- 2.0x higher if at least one professor made them excited about learning
- 1.9x higher if professors cared about students as people
- 1.8x higher if students worked on a project that took a semester or more to complete (Gallup)
Hope College understands this. Hope “will engage every student in a holistically formative education, distinguished by its combination of academic rigor, intimate learning environment, and experiential relevance, developed and delivered by nationally-recognized teacher-scholars” (Hope College Strategic Plan Goals, 2015).
Thus CFL is a resource for all Hope students (regardless of major), complementing Hope’s academic program. It is focused on educating for life and work. CFL’s mission is to help students discern their gifts and calling, prepare for work, and transition from college. Because we were created to work and do good works. Thus,
- Discover, develop, and use their gifts
- Prepare for work
- Transition from college
Our “How?” is that we invest in students. We uniquely combine action learning with coaching and mentoring focused on knowing as we are known and students’ long-term fulfillment and well-being. We believe in education that is holistic.
We do not sponsor an academic major or minor. But we are a resource for all Hope College students regardless of major or minor. As such, our “What?” is to co-create work experiences that matter. In short, we invest in students in three ways:
- CFL Integrated Learning — We offer experiential coursework and mentoring for all interested students to help them discern their gifts and calling.
- LDRS 201: Introduction to Inspirational Leadership (2 credits)
- LDRS 231: Leading the Start-Up Process (4 credits)
- LDRS 291: Becoming an Influential Leader (2 credits)
- LDRS 292: The Trusted Adviser (2 credits)
- CFL Consulting – We recruit students to help organizations test and develop their ideas. Selected students work as employees in small groups with coaches and subject matter experts for real organizations. To prepare, students enroll in LDRS 291: Becoming an Influential Leader (recommended) and LDRS 292: The Trusted Adviser (required). As a result, employers invest in our students.
- CFL Incubator– We recruit students who wish to test and develop their own ideas. Selected students work as employees surrounded with coaching and mentoring for their own organizations. To prepare, students enroll in LDRS 201: Introduction to Inspirational Leadership (recommended) and LDRS 231: Leading the Start-Up Process (required). As a result, investors invest in our students.
CFL is a resource for all Hope students (regardless of major), complementing Hope’s academic program. It invests in students primarily but engages other individuals, teams, and organizations. Together we co-create work experiences that matter to help discover and validate our ideas, gifts and calling!
To God be the glory!
Investing in students.
Co-creating work experiences. That matter.41 Graves Place, VanZoeren Hall 182
http://www.hope.edu/leadership Instagram Facebook firstname.lastname@example.org
Experiences That Matter